Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Girl Scouts

Tonight was the beginning of one the activities that keeps me the busiest. I have been co-leader of my daughter's Girl Scout troop for 7 years. Tonight was our first meeting of the year. We have a troop of 10 - 12 girls (not sure yet how many are returning & how many new ones we will have this year). All of the girls are now between the ages of 13 - 15.

I do enjoy spending time with the girls (especially my daughter), but this is an activity that takes up way more time than I ever thought it would. But since, Flicka loves it so much it is very worthwhile to me. Most of the girls in the troop have been together for at least 5 years and some of them for all of the 7 years I have been involved in the troop. Needless to say, I have formed a bond with many of them.

Since the girls are older now, we do more with them, it is fun. Also, since they are older, we are beginning to let them lead the troop and the other co-leader (who has become one of my best friends over the years) and I are just there as advisers now. It has been fun to watch them grow from little Brownie Girl Scouts up to the beautiful, smart, creative, talented, etc... Cadette Girl Scouts they are today.

Last summer (07) we took the biggest trip we have ever gone on with them. We used all of the cookie money raised, and money from several other fund raisers we held to go to Savannah, Georgia. Savannah was the home of the founder of Girl Scouts - Juliette Gordon Low. The trip consisted of 9 girls and 5 adults all packed into 3 vehicles going "road tripping." We stopped in Huntsville, AL and went to the Space Center, Atlanta, Georgia, for a day at Six Flags and a day at the most awesome Georgia Aquarium (everyone needs to go here)! Then we headed on to our final destinations. We actually stayed in Hilton Head, South Carolina by the beach - BEAUTIFUL!!! While in Hilton Head, we kayaked in the bay looking at the ocean wildlife - we didn't get to see any dolphins that day, but we saw other beautiful things. Then we went to Savannah, we did a trolley tour of the city ending at the Juliette Low home. It was such a treat to see her home, and meant so much to all of us to be their as Girl Scouts. For lunch, we ate at The Lady & Sons restaurant (this Paula Deen's restaurant - she is on food network), it was great; one of Paula's sons was there that day & we got pictures made with him and lots of autographs (he has a show w/his brother on the food network too). That night we did a ghost tour of Savannah - it is reported as the most haunted city in the US. The tour ended at the "pirate house" where we had wonderful buffet dinner w/Capt. Jack Sparrow. It was lots of fun! The rest of the trip was spent at Hilton Head on the beach - soaking up the sun. We were gone for 10 days, and it was AWESOME! Many people thought we were crazy for taking that many girls on a trip that long, but they were all wonderful! I would do it again, and hope we have the opportunity to do something that awesome with them again. (Savannah and Hilton Head are some of the most beautiful places, I highly recommend them as a vacation spots to anyone)

I hope I still have a few readers after such a long rambling post and hope you are not bored terribly. I just wanted to share with you a little about one of the things I love - my Girl Scout Troop! I am sure as we trek along through meetings and trips this year, I will have many stories and pictures to share!

Here is a picture of the girls from last fall - they hosted a "girls night out at the spa" for our sister brownie troop.



Even though they keep me busy, I love Girl Scouts! I was a Girl Scout when I was a child, and they say "Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout!"

What keeps you busy (besides school & housework, of course)?


5 comments:

April said...

I was a Brownie when I was a girl and I loved it! Unfortunately, we moved and I just never got back into it. It was a great experience, though somewhat short-lived. My favorite part...the cookies!! :)

Lindsay-ann said...

Oh Wow, I have just followed all your links to the places you went on your Girl Scout trip. I now feel like I have been on a little holiday myself. Those places looked amazing, you must have had the most wonderful time. I loved beautiful Hilton Head and I watched the 50 reasons to visit Savannah. Six Flags looked fun - the theme park and the water park. My daughter is at Girl Scouts (Guides over here) at this very moment. I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout too. I am so happy you enjoy your Girl Scouts with your daughter. They all look to be having lots of fun at their girls night at the spa. I did not find your post boring at all. i loved it. What keeps me busy? Working, supporting my recently widowed Mom, visiting my Grandma (age 94)and more recently blogging!!!
Lindsay

Heidi Zawisza said...

Can I join your girl scouts group??? I want to travel too.....

Anonymous said...

I just took a 'trip' to Savannah! How cool is that! Beautiful! What a great little holiday for you all... What would the world be like if we didn't have women, and men, like you willing to spend time with our young people. Good on you...

Leigh Ann said...

I love seeing you and S selling cookies at Kroger! What wonderful memories you are making together. Y'all have gotten to go to so many amazing, fun places. I know both you and S will cherish these memories always. Maybe EG will want to be a Girl Scout one day. I was a Brownie, but I did it mainly for the uniform. Can you believe that??? Who would "want" to wear that beanie? Ha! The uniforms have come a loooong way to which I'm sure a lot of little girls are thankful. :)