Wednesday, September 3, 2008

THE INSTRUMNENT

OK, OK, I know you have all been patiently waiting to find out what happened next. I had to take a little break yesterday so that I could do an on-line Continuing Ed course for my license requirements, but I am back; and here goes.

(By the way, if you are just tuning in, you may want to read my last post before you continue reading. This post will make more sense to you, if you read the previous post first.)

And the instrument chosen was......

No, no, no. You really didn't think I would just spill the beans that quickly did you? I have to tell you how the rest of the story played out.

So, by now it is day 4 of the school year. Travis came home excited and brought me papers to look at before I could even ask (usually, I have to ask at least twice before papers are remembered.) He gives me a memo style note w/a bold heading that reads "Getting an Instrument", it is from Mr. M., the Band Director.

The note explains that "your child has chosen to be in the band and now you are wondering about obtaining an instrument." It further explains that to assist us in instrument selection, they have tested our child on every beginning band instrument and we will find the recommendations below. It also had some other explanations as to why or why not they may be good at certain instruments - coordination skills, lip & teeth structure, etc...

Now, before I go further, I feel I should give a little more background on how he even got band on his schedule. Each year in 5th grade, the 6th grade band teacher comes to the elementary school and talks to the kids about band, and instruments, etc... The 5th graders are given some type of evaluation at that time that supposedly lets us know if they might be a candidate for band. Travis, was listed as good candidate, and that was all it took for him to want to be in the band. After all, this was the best way for him and his friends to get a head start on the band they want to form together (obviously not the same kind of band though.) So, anyway before the end of 5th grade when we had to fill out schedules for 6th grade he wanted to band to be on it, and we agreed because we do want to support him and give him a chance to try it out.

Now back to choosing an instrument. I just assumed the instrument of choice would be drums. Drums is all he had talked about for so long, so it seemed the logical answer. Everyone had been telling him that "everyone" wants to play drums in the band and it might be hard to get to do that. At first, this logic did not sway him, and we encouraged him to go for what he wanted (thinking we would just get ear plugs.)

So, to the evaluation. The note breaks down the evaluations into 4 categories - highly recommended (1), recommended (2), okay (3), and not recommended (4). The instruments listed are: flute, clarinet, alto sax, trumpet, trombone, bell, and kit (drums). Travis' evaluation looked like this:


Flute = 3; Clarinet = 1; Alto Sax = 1; Trumpet = 1; Trombone = 1; Bell = 2; kit (drums) = 4


I was shocked. I asked why he thought he had a 4 on the drums. He explained it was because he didn't try for it. He said everyone wanted to do drums and he thought it was best if he just let that go for now & try something else. (I was thinking - O.KAY.) And as you can see we had 4 highly recommended instruments.

So, what do you think he chose?

Nope, not the Sax.

TROMBONE.

The TROMBONE was his choice! It's not that I have anything against trombones, but really? I like to think I'm a relatively intelligent person, but I just couldn't even picture what a trombone looked like - I had to have him explain it to me (and even then I googled to see a picture.) I asked why the trombone. His answer, "Because it's cool."

So, the trombone, it is!

Next installment - the actual obtaining of the trombone.


Stay tuned (if you're not bored yet)... I promise the next installment is good too.

5 comments:

Scrapper Mom said...

I can totally see him playing that. It just "looks" like him.

We just have some neighborhood kids (we think, I hope) dressing up in black and running around in our subdivision at night. It's freaking me out, but the sheriff says not to worry just call if there is an instance. Ug.

Anonymous said...

OH, WOW! Your house is going to have great sounds emanating from it's walls! I love it when kids are keen to play instruments, and have a go - it's good for the soul, I reckon... And had he 'tried' for the drums the kid would have pulled off an all-rounder... nice! Looking forward to hearing more about his "trombone tales"...

Lindsay-ann said...

Good luck with the trombone!!

From a noise point of view I was kind of relieved when my daughter chose the flute a couple of years ago!

I am sure your son will be great with the trombone. I agree with him trombones are very cool.

Heidi Zawisza said...

Oh my goodness....with the trombone, you might want to invest in some heavy duty earplugs!! ha!ha! Good luck to the new MUSICIAN!!

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

If the trombone is what I am picturing it as all I can say is ... OH MY! That will be a loud instrument. I don't envy you when it is time to practice! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Hubby said the game was a good game.. but definitely a nail biter! He thinks there is lots of potential for next year! ha! :) He is worried about the rest of the season. But hey, 2-0 that is more than a lot teams are right now!