Monday, September 1, 2008

THE BAND

And so it began. . .

Scene: End of 2nd day of school.

Who: Travis, the new middle schooler, in 6th grade, (basically, still "wide-eyed" and soaking in everything, even if he doesn't understand it all yet).

What: Band/instrument

The rest of the story: So, it's the end of the 2nd day of school. I ask the kids if they have any news to share, papers to show, need more supplies etc.... Travis announces we need to buy him an instrument for band. I ask what instrument, he replies that he doesn't know yet, the teacher hasn't done the evaluations yet. I try to explain that we would rather not buy one right away, but should wait to make sure it is something he will like and continue to pursue over the next few years.

Travis: "But, I promise I will."

Me: "Ok, we'll talk about it when we know what instrument you need." (ie...no way, no how, not now - there must be a way w/out buying a new instrument!)

The discussion ends peacefully. Several hours pass and the topic of school and their classes come up again. Here is the next exchange:

Travis: "You, know mom, Mr. M..... says if we play an instrument and they find out when we go to college, they will give you money to help pay for it. So you will be getting your money back."

Me: hysterical laughter (It was just the way he said "and they find out" that was sooo funny, if you're not laughing it may be one of those you had to be there moments)

Lynn: reading a book and oblivious to it all

Travis: "Why are you laughing."

Me: "Just because you can play doesn't mean you get a scholarship. I'm not laughing at you, just at your interpretation of what your teacher said."

Lynn: looks up to see what is so funny so I explain... "that's called a scholarship, Travis, and you have to practice and get good at an instrument to earn one." (he is the logical one, right?)

Travis: "But, I do want to be in the band, and I will stay in it and practice to get good."

Me: "Ok...I know you want to, and we will talk about it when we know an instrument." (still chuckling to myself about the getting money for college automatically when "they find out" you can play something and I will be getting my money back for the instrument at that time.)

Lynn: already back to his book and his own world

So, it was left at that. We will definitely consider renting or buying an instrument when we find out what he wants to play and the Band teacher thinks he is ready. And hopefully he will understand if we don't go buy the instrument as soon as one is assigned to him. But, I will also hope for that scholarship - we will need it!

Stay tuned.... Part 2 and the instrument reveal will come soon!



8 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

That made me laugh! I wish "they would have found out" and gave my parents money. If only everything was that easy. Ah, the eyes of a child! Can't wait to hear the developments to this story. :)

Melissa Stover said...

oh hilarious!
so what is it? the triangle?

Anonymous said...

Funny! Wouldn't it be lovely if all things were simple and came easily our way... or would it?... Food for thought... I could see your boy in the percussion section... definitely!!! Got your ear muffs???

Lindsay-ann said...

Your son's interpretation of scholarships is so funny. I hope the teacher thinks he is suitable for a small, not too noisy or expensive instrument! I wait with interest for the next instalment.

April said...

I just came across your blog and noticed that you're from my home state of Arkansas! How about that? I was born in Wynne and grew up in Hot Springs/Hot Springs Village. I really miss it. Anyhow, just thought I'd drop by to say a guick "hi"!

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

That is funny! I remember being in 7th grade and just feeling like I HAD to play in the band. :) Ask LAH about just how good I was! ha! Can't wait to hear more of the story! Here's to college scholarships! Hey, look at it his way, at least he is thinking of them. :) Thanks for sharing!

Heidi Zawisza said...

definitely RENT....I tried the same thing when I was his age, and .....well,......six months later, I WAS D.O.N.E......ha!ha! But then again, I have serious A.D.D issues!! ha!ha!ha!

Scrapper Mom said...

That was funny. Sounds like one of many conversations about "reality" I've had with my kids.

And I too might consider "renting" just in case it is like the guitar with my oldest and the piano with the youngest. That practice was just too much for them.. lol