Thursday, September 18, 2008

GROCERY STORE MANIA

Call me crazy.... but I love to grocery shop. Ok, what, you may ask leads me to proclaim this bold statement. Well, a brand new Kroger, the only one of it's kind, the biggest in all of the southeast region, just opened in our town! And I LOVE it. I know many of you are shaking your head convinced that I have totally lost it. But, no, I really haven't. I will now explain further.

I really do love to grocery shop. Many times a trip to the grocery has been my only alone time. Yes, I love my family, but we all need (deserve) a little alone time on occasion, and you know w/kids we don't always get that even in the bathroom. So, I love to grocery shop; I can wander the aisles lost in my own thoughts, with no interruptions.

Now, to my favorite grocery store. For many years now, I have been loyal to our local Kroger. There was also a Harvest Foods here, but the prices were higher, and the workers just didn't seem friendly to me, so Kroger was my choice. I not only love the deals and prices, but the manager at Kroger is the nicest, sweetest man you will meet. He seems to always be there, he makes sure to speak to everyone he sees, he does so many things to help our community (I know some he has to, but some he does not.) He is so helpful to all of our Girl & Boy Scouts, donating things for cookouts & sleepovers, letting us stand inside to sale cookies when it is raining or cold (this is definitely not a store policy).

A few months ago, a new Wal-Mart super center opened just a few miles up the road. Kroger lost some business for a while (not mine), but you could see the customers slowly drifting back, Wal-Mart has better prices on a few things, but not everything. And then, just a month or so after that, Wal-Mart opened up one of their Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets in the old Harvest Foods store. Again, business fell off for a little while, but again, they came back to Kroger.

Well yesterday, my friends, the new Kroger opened and it is heaven! It is huge, I think it is bigger than the Wal-Mart super center! Travis' Boy Scout Troop did a flag ceremony at the grand opening last night. I was tired and opted to stay home with Flicka thinking they would just do the ribbon cutting, and the doors would open today - not so, after the ribbon cutting they let everyone in! I was so disappointed I did not go; oh how I wanted to go in, I have been waiting on this opening for months now.

Tonight, I went, actually the whole family went. It is FABULOUS! There is so much room, it is just crazy. I can't imagine anything you would need that you could not find in this store. They have all the normal sections - bakery, deli, floral, meat, etc... But they also have some not so normal areas - sushi, fresh market (includes organic), cheese shop (over 100 types of cheeses), a collegiate section (it is mostly all RAZORBACKS!!!).

Those of you who know where I live and live in this area you need to go to that Kroger, you will not regret it! I am looking so forward to going back alone & getting lost in the aisles and my thoughts!

I know it is crazy to blog about a grocery store, but I love to grocery shop. And if the store is wonderful, it can make your shopping experience so much better; not just for those crazies like me who love to grocery shop, but also for those who do not like to grocery shop (I think this store would convert you.) I will try to get some pictures of it this weekend to share.

So, call me crazy, but I love to grocery shop! Do you?


9 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

i love kroger too but we no longer have one. i wish they would put a new one in monticello.

April said...

Yes, I must admit that I do love to grocery shop. I think it's just time to sort of clear my head and feel that I've actually accomplished something. I love our Wal-Mart Supercenter!! The only bad thing about it is it's filled with Georgia Bulldog items. So depressing!! Only HOGS stuff for me!!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

I am not a shopper, of any kind. Give me a farmers market any day, and I'm fine, but I only go into shopping centres when I have to, and if I can, I send my husband, who always finds bargains and fun things and comes home happy 'cos he's got what he wanted. And I prefer to go at night, kidless; that way I haven't wasted the sunlight, and I can think...

hsmomma said...

ooohhh.....you have me so jealous. I love to grocery shop too! I always have. And I absolutely LOVE Kroger. We used to have one here and although it was an ancient one, they still had such good sales. They closed it and now it is called SuperValu--NOT the same....boohoo. Everytime I see a Kroger commercial on TV I get a little emotional.....

I agree with chickadee. I always said that they should have put a new Kroger in Monticello. I pretty much do not like Wal-Mart.

Lindsay-ann said...

I am so pleased you like your new kroger. To be honest, I really hate grocery shopping. I try to be as quick as possible and on a good day I can drive there, shop and be home within one hour. We have a large Asda store (part of Walmart) near here but I prefer to go to Sainsburys which pretty much sells only groceries and is much quicker to get around. The worst part is putting it all away when I get home. My husband is often happy to go but only if he can go to Asda. I send him with a list but he gets lots of other things that are not on the list and spends a fortune!

Scrapper Mom said...

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I can't say I love to grocery shop. We pretty much have nothing to choose from except Walmart SC here, and it is always so crowded, noisy, and the lines are so long, I cringe thinking I have to go in there.

It would be so nice to have something big, calm and CLEAN!!

Leigh Ann said...

I need to be converted. LOL! Grocery shopping is just not my thing. I'm probably the only person in M that didn't run up there Thursday. I am planning to go sometime this weekend, and maybe it will change the way I feel about the grocery store. I'm like you, I have still shopped at Kroger even after both Wal-Mart's opened.

I'm sure I'll be blogging about my experience in the new Kroger in the next day or two. :)

Heidi Zawisza said...

okay....my comment deleted somehow.....what I was saying is that I unfortunately hate to grocery shop (hence the empty cupboards in my house:), BUT, If I would have to chose a store, it would definitely be Kroger!!
Happy Grocery shopping!

Jill said...

Gonna have to venture that way one day and see this new Kroger. If there was ever an area in need of a new Kroger it was your area. The old one was pitiful!