Saturday, October 4, 2008

OCTOBER!

I know we are now a few days into October, and several of my blogger friends - here and here - have already blogged about October, but I figured it's still not too late for me.

I love October for so many reasons, so I want to share some of them with you.

1. The weather starts turning cooler & the leaves begin to change. Let me tell you, we have some beautiful colors here in Arkansas in the fall!

2. It's STATE FAIR time! I love the state fair! I have loved going since I was young and have so many good memories of going. I went with friends in high school and college and we had some good times. My first official date with Lynn was to the state fair on my 22nd bday 17 years ago - we will celebrate our 15th anniversary later this year! We now have so many memories of taking our kids each year, it's great. So, I feel the need to say it again - I LOVE THE STATE FAIR!!!

3. Football - it is the greatest! Love, love, love football - mostly the Razorbacks (even when they aren't doing well, like this year), but just love it!

4. Pumpkins, scarecrows, etc... love fall decorations!

5. Hunting season opens - I know this may not appeal to most, but my dad hunts so I grew up with it and I married a man who loves it and now my son loves. So, this makes them happy and in turn makes me happy. And as a little "gravy" it means they are gone quite a bit on weekends so I either have the house to myself, or it's just me & Sarah so we get girl time!!!

6. It's my birthday month! More on my birthday to come later.

So, these are some of the things I love about October! I know I didn't mention Halloween, but I have to confess, it's not my favorite holiday. I do tolerate Halloween and have always participated and let my children trick or treat or go to parties, but I could do with out it. Don't get me wrong, I love to see all the cute little ones all decked out in costumes, but there are way too many other things about October that I love more!

So, let me say to you all: HAPPY FALL, YA'LL!!! (can you tell I am a country girl)


5 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I can totally understand why you love the fair so much. That is so sweet that you and Lynn had your first date there and go back every year. That must bring back such good memories. We have yet to take the kids. I'm terrified of them getting lost in the crowds, but one day we WILL take them when they are older.

I'm not a huge fan of Halloween either, but I tolerate it as well. The funnest part for me is getting the kids all dresssed up. I could totally do without the rest of it. However, when we were at HH and you were in charge of the carnival, we always loved to go do that. It wasn't as great after you left and we no longer had "Farmer Lynn" to take us on a hayride! :)

I'm loving this cooler weather! My mom always made a huge deal about the color of the trees turning when we were little. Now, I understand what she meant. We have gorgeous fall colors here.

I'm a country girl, too, y'all!

Lindsay-ann said...

Thanks for sharing your reasons for loving October. I would love to see a picture of Arkansas in the fall. I am not that keen on halloween either but I have always let my daughter take part. I hope you enjoy your annual visit to the State Fair and Happy Birthday for your special day.
Lindsay

Scrapper Mom said...

You didn't mention your Birthday?????

Hope you have a great one!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you eat some Fairy Floss for me, please, when you go to the Fair? Actually, I think you guys call it Cotton Candy - just have some for me anyway... And a Toffee Apple, I LOVE Toffee Apples. Have a wonderful time. And I'm looking forward to learning about your birthday. How exciting!!!

April said...

Your reasons for liking October sound much like mine! I love the cooler weather and the changing colors and, you're right, Arkansas is breathtaking this time of year!

I love the State Fair, too, though I haven't been in years. My FHA group from high school would take a bus to Little Rock every year to go to the State Fair. Some of the best times I've ever had!!

Can you say...Wooooo, Pig, Sooooie?! I am a big Razorback fan...but they are having a tough season. They'll make their way back, I'm sure of it!!

Also, October is the month I got married and it's my daughter's birthday month, as well. I'll be posting about it soon.

Happy October from one country girl to another!!