Tuesday, October 7, 2008

ME :0)

So, today is my birthday! I will confess my age - 39. I really don't mind sharing my age because I can truly say it does not matter to me, it is simply a number and not who I am. Today, I choose to be selfish & post only about me! I know, it may be insane for a grown woman to just talk about herself, but it's my birthday, my blog and that is what I choose to do today.

If you go here, you will find I confessed my real name is Tonda. Yes, I am aware it is a little unusual and some of you may wonder where did such a name come from. Well, today, I will tell you.

I am the second born of three children - I have an older sister and younger brother. Of course all those years ago my parents had no idea until I arrived if I was a boy or a girl. Apparently my parents could not agree on a name for me - they had several picked out, but did not agree on any of the girl names. So, I had to have a name and they were getting no where. My maternal grandmother, who I talked about here, wanted to name one of her grandchildren and had mentioned that several times. So, with no name in agreement, they allowed my grandmother to name me. My name is Tonda Yvette (pronounced e-vette, no y sound). Where did she get such names for a little country girl like me?

Tonda - she chose this name because it was one she had liked for many years. Grandma was a nurses aid and had come into contact with many people over the years. At one point, she worked with, in her words, "a beautiful Indian lady" (meaning Native American) who was named Tonda. My grandmother thought a lot of this lady and loved the name; so it became my name. I am told (though have a hard time finding this) that Tonda means "little princess". I do love my name and would not change it, but try finding a key chain, or anything already made up with that name - not gonna happen! On vacations, I love to dare/bet my kids to try and find something with my name on it and tell them I will give them 20 bucks if they do, even used to do this when I was a kid when we went on vacations - hasn't happened yet, I still have that money in my pocket! I do know I am not the only Tonda in the world, I have heard of others on occasion, and I have met one (however, she uses her middle name & not the name Tonda). Also, on myspace there is a page I was asked to join - "For Tonda's Only". It was started by someone who shares my name looking for other Tonda's in the world, there are actually over 500 registered on the page and 5 in Arkansas - unbelievable. My name is mispronounced often - I am called Tonya, Tonka, Tonto, and I could go on & on, but I will only answer to Tonda - I mean how hard is it to see there is a "d" there! :).

Yvette - Grandma chose this name because there was popular actress from her time with that name. It is french in origin. I have discovered that my grandmother's grandparents were immigrants to the United States from France! So, I have a name to reflect my family heritage. And, yes this name also gets mispronounced often.

Yes, I have strange not so normal names, but I love them - they are me!

I am actually writing this post on Monday night the day before my birthday, but because I can choose the date & time to post you will see it on my birthday. That being said, I can not share with you yet how my day has gone, but I will give you an update and share later.

On Saturday, we went out to eat for an early celebration dinner at one of my favorite restaurants - Texas Roadhouse, the speciality is steak - my favorite!!!! It was yummy and we had a good night. I have also received several cards in the mail from friends already. Monday, 2 friends that I used to work with took me to lunch - it was great to see them. Tonight we will go to my in-laws house for a birthday dinner and cake. My mother-in-law cooks a special dinner for each of us on our birthday and lets us choose what kind of cake we want, I have chosen Kahlua cake - I can't wait.

So far, I have had a great birthday! Thank you for letting me talk about me today & being selfish on my birthday.


8 comments:

Lindsay-ann said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TONDA
I absolutely love your name and enjoyed the story of how you got it. I always had trouble finding things with Lindsay on actually spelt correctly but I suspect I had more chance of that than finding something with Tonda on!
I hope you have a lovely day today and I am looking forward to hearing what you did on your special day. What is Kahlua cake?
Best Wishes
Lindsay

April said...

The story of how you got your name is really interesting! Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a fabulous birthday...one you'll always remember!! Enjoy!

cmbbyrd said...

Tonda, I hope you have a very special day.
By the way, my mom's best friend
growing up was named Tonda so you
were the second Tonda I had met.

Scrapper Mom said...

I wished you happy birthday on facebook, but here goes again!

Happy Birthday.

And....of all the years I've known you, I never heard that story. cool.

Scrapper Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubs said...

Happiest Birthday Tonda!! Hope you are having a wonderful day and this year brings lots of health and happiness your way!!

LOVE YOU A GOOGLE... said...

Love the name and the story is perfect! Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and an even better upcoming year! Can't wait to hear all about your big day! Enjoy it!

Melissa Stover said...

Happy Birthday! today is my dad's birthday too. his name is thurmond. tonda is so much better!