Thursday, July 17, 2008

GRANDMA


I have been thinking about many things I want to post about, but for some strange reason the last few days, I have had this strong, compelling need to share my grandmother with all of you.

Grandma is 83 (birthday was in June), and I have always loved spending time with her! I know I am so fortunate to still have her with me ( she is the only grandparent I still have down here). I still love to spend time with her and I just look forward to seeing her every time I go to visit my parents.

Grandma is my mom's mom. When I was a child she never lived more than 8 miles from us, and I got to see her at least 3 or 4 times a week and usually every Saturday and Sunday afternoons too. We had such good times with her (me, my sis, brother & cousins), it was so much fun to be at her house. I have so many stories of my times with her and grandpa that I could share, but it would take me days to do that. I will just share a few things now, and maybe sprinkle more in here and there in the future.

She currently lives in a small trailer beside my parents so that mom can look after her. She still gets around pretty well, but no longer drives, and does need someone close by now.

I remember when I was around 5 or 6 grandma had a birthday, she was 54. I then remember when I was around 8 or 9 she was still 54, that is about the time that I caught on she was just pulling our legs and she really wasn't still 54!! It's not that she was/is vain, she just liked being 54 and not getting older, also that is just the sense of humor she has - she so loves pulling one over on us!

I also remember her teaching me at one point that a young lady/woman should never leave the house without lipstick on. It didn't matter where you were going, or if you had any other make-up on, but you should never leave the house without lipstick on. To this day she still does not leave her house with out lipstick on (and neither do I!)

When Flicka was a baby, toddler and preschool, my grandmother lived in this area. So whenever, Flicka couldn't go to daycare or preschool, she got to spend the day w/great grandma. As a result of this time she spent with great grandma, she has learned how to sew and crochet!!! It is so awesome that they were able to spend time together and they have such a wonderful connection/bond to each other.

One important story that involves both Flicka and Grandma, I must share with you. When Flicka was 4 years old Grandma got sick. We found out she had some blockage in her arteries and would need a double by-pass. We were at the in-laws house later that day and I was explaining to mother-in-law what was going on and the surgery Grandma would need, and making arrangements for Flicka and Camo to stay with mother-in-law the next day while I was at the hospital, Flicka was coloring in the next room. When I went to tell Flicka it was time to go, she was crying and was very upset. I had no idea she was clinging to every word we spoke - I truly thought she was lost in her coloring. I asked her what was wrong, and she began crying even more. She finally explained to me that she did not want the doctors to open Grandma's heart because that is where Jesus lives and they could not let Him out!. I then had to explain to a 4 year old more about open-heart surgery than I even knew about it, and assure her that Jesus would not leave Grandma's heart. I was finally able to make her understand how Jesus lives in our hearts and it would all be OK. (isn't the literal translations of children wonderful!)

Grandma still loves that story. She and Flicka have a bond that will live forever, and I am so fortunate that they do.

I just hope that when I am 80something, I look as good as she does (and I will have my lipstick on!) The picture is from Christmas, and I am sure if she knew I put that one on here, she would ask me to find a better one even though this one is great. (maybe she is a little vain after all!)

I hope you enjoyed meeting her, she truly is amazing - she actually grew up in an orphanage until she was 14 years old - I will share that story with you in the future.

7 comments:

hsmomma said...

Be very thankful that you have such a good relationship with your Grandma....

Aubs said...

Awww...i love this post!! I too am VERY close to my grandma...my Meemi...she is one of the most amazing women ever! I truly enjoyed getting to know your bond with your grandma!

Melissa Stover said...

that is so neat that she thought jesus would get out during surgery. makes you think.

you're so lucky to have your grandma still around. i miss my grandparents so much.

cmbbyrd said...

This was so sweet. It made
me miss both of my Mamaws so
much. I still want to reach
for the phone and call them.

Scrapper Mom said...

I had lost both sets of grandparent before I was 20 and I often feel so cheated out of time I could've had (or better yet, time my own children could've had)

Flicka will never forget these days with her as I'm sure you will always be grateful as well.

Heidi Zawisza said...

Grandmas are so special....I am VERY fortunate to still have all four of my grandparents alive!
Your memories are great!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! My Great Grandma was too; she passed away in '94 at the age of 99! She wore her lipstick til the very end and had the same rule as your Granny - "Don't leave home`without it!"