Sunday, August 17, 2008

End Of Summer Randomness

OK - I know that summer is not technically over. But, as the first day of school is tomorrow, it does mark somewhat of an end to our summer. I just thought I would take a moment to share some random thoughts with all of you.

1. My Retro Post - I know I have been promising a retro post for sometime now, it is still something I plan to do. I have to postpone it for now though as my scanner does not want to cooperate and allow me to scan the pictures. So, until I can get my scanner to work or get a chance to use my mother-in-laws, this post is postponed.

2. Last weekend - this weekend of course was the last one before school starts. We went to my sister's for one last visit and a small pool party with some of our mutual friends - it is a yearly event that she and my brother-in-law host. There is usually a good crowd, but this year it was very small (too many timing issues w/everyone this year), but it was still a nice visit with those who did attend.

3. First Day of School - I am a little sad that tomorrow is the first day of school. I am usually ready to resume the routine (as we don't have as strict a routine in the summer, and it can wear me down), but not this time, I really am not ready to get going with that routine again, I really could use a few more weeks for several reasons. We have had a good summer, but I would love to have a little more time to squeeze a few more fun activities in with the kids. Also, this will be the beginning of Flicka's last year at our local middle school, she will be in the 8th grade and that means I really have to focus on where she will attend high school next year (a decision will need to be made by January). The high school debate really stresses me as I do not feel we have really good options, and unfortunately we can not afford private school and homeschooling is not an option for us at this time. As Flicka begins her last year at the middle school, Camo begins his first year at the middle school. So, my baby is starting a brand new school tomorrow, but at least it is one we are already familiar with and the kids will have one year at the same school. And, yes it does make me a little sad to think of my "baby" starting middle school.

4. Summer Olympics - we have really enjoyed watching the summer Olympics each day. Of course we all have our favorites events we don't want to miss, but for the most part we agree about our favorites - swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball, just to name a few. We have not missed a single one of Michael Phelps gold medal swims, and made sure to catch Dara Torres swimming too!

5. Busy, Busy, Busy - finally, I have to say this week will be very busy. Of course the first week of school is always busy, but I will also be preparing for Camo's birthday. He will be 11 on the 24th. We have decided not to have a big party this year, he wanted a more expensive present so we gave him the option of getting the present he really wanted or having a party and something less expensive, he chose to not have a party. We will still celebrate, and I will still invite a couple of his buddies over for pizza. But, with work, getting back into the school routine, getting ready for the birthday, and all of the other little everyday adventures that occur around here, it will be a busy week!

6. Last thoughts - I know a few of you who may be reading this are going to have a rougher week than normal, and have asked for prayers as you go through it. I have some friends who are reading who have little ones going off to kindergarten for the first time. Please know that I am keeping you in my prayers (and I know that my blogging friends reading this, will say a prayer for you too). Don't forget to take those first day of school pictures and post them for us to see.

I do hope all of you are doing well, and have a great first week of school (or another great week, if you have already started. )



5 comments:

Scrapper Mom said...

Good luck!! And pray for us that I won't have to fight constant battles getting Big Dan off the phone every night!!!

Aubs said...

I will definatly keep your friends in my prayers! It was long ago at all that i was sending my oldest to kinder and will do it again in a couple of years. Such a bittersweet thing....i love love love them being my babies and it is hard to let go of taht but at the same time it is so so so fun to watch them grow up and become their own person!! Good luck with your busy week and w/ the high school dilemma! God will provide...just trust in Him!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, girl, I hear you about the whole school thing. I will be praying for you and your daughter re her highschool next year. I hope you have time to stop and smell the roses through the week... Bless your heart.

Leigh Ann said...

Summer has gone by WAY too fast! We made it fine this morning. However, I am now watching the clock until we get to go pick Evan up from his first day! Thank you for praying for us. We sure needed it, and I definitely felt it this morning! Hugs!

hsmomma said...

My middlest will be 12 on the 22nd! We don't do a big party either--just grandparents and cake!